National Fajita Day
What better way to celebrate National Fajita Day on August 18 than at Jalisco Mexican Grill. Not only do we create the perfect fajitas, but we are also the home of the best Margaritas. Check out the flavorsome fajitas we have on our menu, and give us a call on (941) 217-4536 to make a reservation for this coming National Fajita Day. While waiting for your eagerly-anticipated visit, read on to learn more about this magnificent day.
History of National Fajita Day
The fajita represents all that’s good about Tex-Mex. Its humble beginnings take us to 1930s Texas where Mexican herders received the throwaway beef cuts as part of their wages. They used genius and creativity to transform those rough cuts of meat into a delicious meal that they served with flour or corn tortillas, pico de gallo, and guacamole. And the rest is, well, history. Here’s a brief timeline of how National Fajita Day came to be:
- The 1930s – The fajita is born.
- 1969 – Sonny Falcon sells the first fajita in recorded history
- 1971 – The Oxford Dictionary includes the word “fajita” in their latest printing.
- 1973 – Legendary restaurant Ninfa’s adds fajitas to their menu.
- 1982 – The fajita makes it into the Hyatt as an official dish of Chef George Weidmann
On the Border, a chain restaurant in Texas was the first to use the term National Fajita Day in 1982, and so it all began.
Fun Facts About Fajitas
Fajitas are a special dish that deserves celebrating, and that’s what we plan to do at Jalisco Mexican Grill. Here are a few more fun facts about fajitas:
- The definition – Fajita means “little belt” in Spanish.
- It has a different name in Mexico – Traditionally, fajitas were made with skirt steak, which they call Arracheras in Mexico.
- “Fajita King” is a trademarked term – Sonny Falcon decided he liked the title so much that he’d legally keep it for himself.
- McDonald’s tried to sell them once – McDonald’s tried and failed to introduce their own fajitas in 1991.
Fajitas are about fiestas, so have one with us this National Fajita Day. Jalisco Mexican Grill is the home of the best Margaritas in town, meaning you can make it a real party with your loved ones. Call us on (941) 217-4536 or make a booking here. You learn more about all things Mexican food on our blog. We can’t wait to celebrate the delicious fajita with you this National Fajita Day.